Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Cashin Passion: The Bonnie Cashin Collection Unleashed













 I have had a passion for Bonnie Cashin ever since I first read an article about her in the New York Times Magazine in 2001. To my surprise Portland thrift stores were crawling with her designs back then. Nobody in Portland seemed to have heard of her and the fact that her name was discretely scrawled underneath the SILLS label made her designs go un-noticed. I snatched up all that I could find. I remember being thrilled at selling a pristine pink leather coat of her's on Ebay for close to 500.
Ever since then I've been obsessed with her clothing and like to believe I'm a magnet for it...

I hit the Cashin jackpot a couple of years ago when I purchased the estate of a prolific Cashin collector in Lake Oswego- she had hundreds of unworn pieces. Remember these from 2012? Back in the 1960s Bonnie Cashin had regular trunk shows at a downtown Portland department store called Lipmans. I imagine Bette (our patron saint of vintage Cashin and the avid collector) would attend every show and order one in every style. Can you imagine?!

The Cashin collection is available to purchase online in our Etsy store.

 For more of my Bonnie Cashin pieces check out our pinterest page.





No comments:

Post a Comment