Sunday, May 15, 2011






Most of the vintage wedding dresses I find are TINY. You can't imagine how many times a happy,  hopeful bride comes into the shop looking for a vintage wedding gown and leaves disappointed. Unless she's a size 0-4 and has a 24" waist the pickings are very...SLIM. It seems that a lot of the brides in the 1950's were very small. The question I hear more often than any other is "Why is everything so tiny?"
Well, I'm not entirely sure...I think growth hormones may have something to do with it, and the fact that a lot of brides back then were very young.  Americans are becoming larger people, the average shoe size back then was a 7 narrow, whereas today most teenage girls wear size 9's and 10's. I myself wear a whopping 10, therefore I don't own any vintage shoes....
So when I come a across a contemporary wedding gown that is timeless, elegant and high quality and a size 10 I do not hesitate to pick it up. This is a newer gown by Judd Waddell from New York. The original tag reads that it was....drumroll.....$4260! I have it priced at 695. It is truly stunning and is sure to make a healthy average size 10 bride very happy.

4 comments:

  1. I can relate to this especially with formal wear the sizes are often tiny....nice to find a larger vintage size...love your shop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brides of yesteryear often married in their late teens, hence the smaller gowns *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  3. people wore some pretty serious shapeware in the fifties. A 24" waist (or smaller) was achieved by wearing a heavy duty girdle every single day. Brides should try to understand shapeware before they go shopping for their dress, especially if they want a vintage silhouette.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually read somewhere that since during the Great Depression then during World War II, food was scarce and rationed, women were not as well nourished as they are today. When the mother is pregnant, the amount of food and nutrients she gets will affect her child. I read that bones were literally smaller because of this. Our bones are bigger and stronger today which affects our sizes!

    ReplyDelete