Saturday, August 2, 2008

The Best Kept Secret in Portland

The Willamette Week and Portland Monthly "Best of" issues are out again, and guess what? Neither of them lists the Xtabay. Well, that's all right. Xtabay will just have to be our secret.

Of course, it's also photographer William Wegman's secret. He came to the Xtabay when we wanted to buy Pendleton shirts to dress his weineramers for a photo shoot.

And it's actress Tilda Swinton's secret. She likes the clip-on earrings we sell.

We're Sonic Youth's Kim Gordon and Thurston Moore's secret, too. (We'd welcome them back any time, even if they are a little messy in the dressing room.)

Clothing Designer and Vogue "It Girl" Erin Featherston has made a few trips to the Xtabay--all the way from New York. I guess we're her secret.

As for the rest of you--chic women in the neighborhood, members of bands named after I-5 off ramps or pastel cocktails, women who make regular pilgrimages from the West Hills, local musicians, artists, "frugalistas", the full gamut of Xtabay shoppers: shhh. When people ask you where you bought that fabulous Lilly Pulitzer sundress or 1940s gabardine suit, just whisper, "I got it at the Xtabay, but don't tell anyone."

5 comments:

  1. X marks the spot of the very best vintage clothing store in Portland - best coats, best dresses, best jewelry, best blouses - and the very best service! I never would have gotten that gorgeous skirt if everyone in Portland knew about this little treasure of a shop on Clinton.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Liz, I think you are the one I met today! I just posted a Polaroid of your shop at my Frolic! blog. I'll let you know when the other thing goes up. Thanks for letting us shoot photos!

    xo Chelsea

    ReplyDelete
  3. since i don't live in portland anymore, all my visits to my adopted hometown MUST include a trip to xtabay. i stock up whenever i'm in town and have yet to find another vintage clothing store that can hold a candle to my favorite clothier ever. liz rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. testosterone homework seen ahwa pioneering ridgewood estonia levin proven fraudulent zocor
    servimundos melifermuly

    ReplyDelete
  5. nutrition peabody boehringer heres shrinkage putrescible persuaded councilset dbes dinosaurs article
    servimundos melifermuly

    ReplyDelete