Monday, September 20, 2010

This Week's Showstopper


Once in a while I get a dress that just seems to shine a little brighter than the others.  This is one of those dresses.  Heavy ivory faille over-layed with rich black rhinestone studded lace, a velvet bolero to match the velvet trimmed bust line and last but not least--it's original belt! 

I had the pleasure of purchasing this dress from its original owner who at age 76 wanted it to go somewhere it would be appreciated again.  She wore it when she was a freshman in college to a dance. No doubt she was the belle of the ball.  She told me that her mother always shopped at expensive boutiques and favored such designers as Adele Simpson and Ann Fogerty.  Lucky for me she still had  a few of her mother's dresses from the late 40's that I was able to purchase as well.  New look dresses with huge full skirts, sloping shoulders and nipped in waists.  Loads of beautiful tailored wool pencil skirts and silk blouses too!  I can't wait to pick them up from the cleaner's this wednesday.

Fall is definitely here, and that means the holidays are approaching... Do you have your holiday showstopper yet?

2 comments:

  1. that dress is amazing! the black and white pattern remind me a little bit of grace kelly's famous dress from "rear window". i love your blog! i wish i lived in portland so i could shop at your store!

    http://pinkchampagnefashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful dress! I am your latest blog follower. I love it! Im at www.konradjuengling.blogspot.com on here. :D

    ReplyDelete